Infusions of young blood may reverse some effects of ageing

Further to our discussions recently in the comments comes an interesting article on ageing – Deskarati

Researchers in the US are closing in on a therapy that could reverse harmful ageing processes in the brain, muscles, heart and other organs. Hopes have been raised by three separate reports released by major journals on Sunday that demonstrate in experiments on mice the dramatic rejuvenating effects of chemicals found naturally in young blood.

Infusions of young blood reversed age-related declines in memory and learning, brain function, muscle strength and stamina, researchers found. In two of the reports, scientists identified a single chemical in blood that appears to reverse some of the damage caused by ageing. Although all three studies were done in mice, researchers believe a similar rejuvenating therapy should work in humans. A clinical trial is expected to begin in the next three to five years.

“The evidence is strong enough now, in multiple tissues, that it’s warranted to try and apply this in humans,” said Saul Villeda, first author of one of the studies at the University of California in San Francisco. More here Infusions of young blood may reverse some effects of ageing, studies suggest

This entry was posted in Biology. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Infusions of young blood may reverse some effects of ageing

  1. Phil Krause says:

    This story can’t be related to the one about the 115 year old lady. When a blood transfusion is given, they use blood plasma which is the blood with its cells removed. 45% of blood is cells with the remaining 55% being the plasma. Only about 1% of the total blood volume contains DNA, the white blood cells. In the nucleus of the white blood cells is the DNA where the scientists found the 450 mutations of the 115 year old lady. The stem cells that make blood cells are in the bone marrow not the blood, therefore these two cases cannot be related.

    • Deskarati says:

      After another reading of the source article, it looks like something called creb is the likely molecule that is effecting the genes:

      ‘ the anti-ageing effect was linked to a protein called Creb that acts like a master regulator in the brain. Young blood plasma makes Creb more active, and this turns on genes that drive neural connections.’

Comments are closed.