With an aluminum and glass design, the just-announced iPhone 5 is being touted as the thinnest, lightest and most powerful phone produced by Apple to date. Operated using its 4-inch retina display touch screen, features include an updated 8-megapixel camera with a sapphire crystal lens cover, ultra fast LTE/DC-HSDPA based wireless, and an A6 chip that gives up to twice the CPU and graphics performance of the 4S. The iPhone 5 runs off of iOS 6, which will be made available to all Apple users as a free upgrade as of September 19.
The iPhone 5 will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK on Friday, September 21 – a roll-out in 22 other countries is scheduled for the 28th. Customers can pre-order beginning Friday, September 14.
Here are some of its other specs, as outlined by Apple:
- 7.6 mm anodized aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S
- 1136 x 640 display resolution
- 44 percent better color saturation and full sRGB rendering
- Dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi support for a wireless experience up to 150 Mbps
- The world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features
- Maps app with cartography and turn by turn navigation
- Facebook integration; Passbook organization; and even more Siri features and languages
- A new panorama feature that lets you capture panorama images of up to 28 megapixels by simply moving the camera across a scene in one smooth motion
- FaceTime HD front facing camera makes FaceTime calls incredibly clear and can also be used for self portraits and recording 720p HD video
- Lightning connector that is smaller, smarter and more durable than the previous connector
- Beam-forming, directional microphone system for higher quality sound, while background noise fades away with new noise canceling technology
The iPhone 5 comes in either white-and-silver or black-and-slate, and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for the 32GB model, and $399 for the 64GB version. The iPhone 4S will also now be available for just US$99, while the iPhone 4 will be available for free with a two-year contract. Via Apple announces iPhone 5 – its thinnest, lightest and most powerful phone to date.